Most Recent Entries
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Matt Cassel-To-Bucs Rumor Is Out There
Posted Feb 27, 2009 by Anwar S. Richardson
Updated Feb 27, 2009 at 10:10 PM
By ANWAR S. RICHARDSON and ROY CUMMINGS
As you might expect, rumors run rampant during the free agency signing period. One involving the Bucs, in fact, is on the verge of running wildly rampant.
We’re not sure of the root of this rumor, but bloggers in new England are suggesting that the Bucs are in the process of working a trade for QB Matt Cassel that would involve the Bucs giving up their first-round draft pick in this year’s draft and some loose change to secure the Cassel’s services.
Keep in mind, we’re just doing our jobs here. This one seems like a little bit of s stretch, but there’s no question that Cassel would provide the Bucs with the kind of player who could push Luke McCown for the starter’s job.
Finding such a player is one of the Bucs’ top offseason objectives, and it’s possible they are unimpressed with the suspects that are available in free agency. We know for certain the Bucs have no interest in Kyle Boller; Kurt Warner is likely to return to Arizona or retire, and Kerry Collins is now off the market.
That leaves the likes of J.P. Losman, Patrick Ramsey and Rex Grossman. Even at the cost on a No. 1 draft pick Cassel might be a better option than any of those.
A league source with some knowledge of the Bucs’ plans told the Tribune Thursday that he was unsure of what the Bucs planned with regards to free agency, but knew for sure that general manager Mark Dominik was contemplating making some headline-grabbing trades. The Bucs obviously made one of those earlier today, giving a second-round pick in this year’s draft and a fifth-round pick in next year’s for Kellow Winslow. It could be that their plan includes giving up a first for Cassel.
Again, we’re just doing our due diligence here, letting you know what’s out there: Musket Fire, a Patriots blog, is reporting there is a possibility New England will trade quarterback Matt Cassel.
The Web site also speculates that Kansas City is in the running.
Here is the link:
Once we find out more information, we’ll update you.