Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Manny two hits, RBI in Rays loss to Pirates
Posted Feb 28, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 28, 2011 at 05:44 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
PORT CHARLOTTE – Manny Ramirez, playing left field for the first time this spring, had a pair of hits, drove in a run and scored from third base on a wild pitch for the Rays in what became a 6-5 loss Monday to a visiting Pirate split-squad team.
Ramirez also caught a line drive to end the top of the second inning.
Jeff Niemann, making his spring debut, pitched a perfect first inning.
Corey Wade replaced Mike Ekstrom in the fifth inning and threw 1 1/3 innings of perfect ball. Alex Cobb pitched a perfect ninth for the Rays.
Ben Zobrist had a pair of hits and an RBI.
The loss was the second straight by the Rays to the Pirates.