Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Manny two hits, RBI in Rays loss to Pirates
Posted Feb 28, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 28, 2011 at 05:44 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
PORT CHARLOTTE – Manny Ramirez, playing left field for the first time this spring, had a pair of hits, drove in a run and scored from third base on a wild pitch for the Rays in what became a 6-5 loss Monday to a visiting Pirate split-squad team.
Ramirez also caught a line drive to end the top of the second inning.
Jeff Niemann, making his spring debut, pitched a perfect first inning.
Corey Wade replaced Mike Ekstrom in the fifth inning and threw 1 1/3 innings of perfect ball. Alex Cobb pitched a perfect ninth for the Rays.
Ben Zobrist had a pair of hits and an RBI.
The loss was the second straight by the Rays to the Pirates.