Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
Manny two hits, RBI in Rays loss to Pirates
Posted Feb 28, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 28, 2011 at 05:44 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
PORT CHARLOTTE – Manny Ramirez, playing left field for the first time this spring, had a pair of hits, drove in a run and scored from third base on a wild pitch for the Rays in what became a 6-5 loss Monday to a visiting Pirate split-squad team.
Ramirez also caught a line drive to end the top of the second inning.
Jeff Niemann, making his spring debut, pitched a perfect first inning.
Corey Wade replaced Mike Ekstrom in the fifth inning and threw 1 1/3 innings of perfect ball. Alex Cobb pitched a perfect ninth for the Rays.
Ben Zobrist had a pair of hits and an RBI.
The loss was the second straight by the Rays to the Pirates.