- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Leavitt trying to get help for Alvarado
Posted Aug 18, 2009 by Brett McMurphy
Updated Aug 18, 2009 at 11:27 PM
With University of South Florida K Maikon Bonani (back) out for the season, Coach Jim Leavitt is trying to lessen some of Delbert Alvarado’s kicking responsibilities by trying to find a kickoff specialist.
Renato Proia, a goalkeeper for the Bulls’ soccer team, joined the team Tuesday as a walk-on.
“He has a chance, he has a decent leg,” Leavitt said. “I could see him maybe, helping us on kickoffs, maybe.”
Leavitt also said he’s been in contact “with a couple other kickers around the country” to find someone to handle the kickoff duties for Alvarado, who will handle the placekicking and punting duties.
ODDS AND ENDS: USF will scrimmage Wednesday night, but don’t expect All-American DE George Selvie to be out there. “George may be done with his scrimmage work,” Leavitt said. Selvie and CB Jerome Murphy were named to the watch list for the Bronko Nagurski Award, given to the nation’s top defensive player. … Among the freshmen expected to play and not be redshirted include LB Sam Barrington, WR Sterling Griffin, RB Lindsey Lamar and CB Kayvon Webster. “Griffin is tearing it up right now,” Leavitt said. “I’d say he’s going to play right now. He’s made it clear, he’s going to challenge for the rotation.” … NT Terrell McClain, DL Cory Grissom and DL Anthony Hill, who were out with minor injuries, returned to practice Tuesday, but Leavitt said “15-16 guys are not practicing,” but only three-to-four are on USF’s two-deep. … Junior WR Faron Horne, of Butler Community College, joined the team as a walk-on.