Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Baseball: Jose Fernandez makes Miami trip
Posted Jun 9, 2011 by Eddie Daniels
Updated Jun 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM
Three days after Alonso senior Jose Fernandez was selected by the Florida Marlins with the 14th pick in the first round, the pitcher met his new team Thursday.
Hours before the Marlins took on the Braves, Fernandez met with the Miami media as well as Marlins players.
“I’m sure he’ll meet the front office there, the owner and whoever,” Alonso coach Landy Faedo said. “I’m sure they’ll have media stuff lined up.”
That trip means he likely will miss his high school graduation, which is scheduled to take place Friday at 8 p.m. at Expo Hall at the State Fairgrounds.
The trip down south also meant he missed the Alonso baseball banquet on Thursday. Fernandez was named the team MVP and picked up the Andy Priede Award, given to the team’s best pitcher. The award is named after former Ravens pitching coach Andy Priede who passed away.
Before watching his Marlins fall to the Braves, 3-2, he spoke to the media. Here’s the story courtesy of the Marlins.