Most Recent Entries
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
Baseball: Jose Fernandez makes Miami trip
Posted Jun 9, 2011 by Eddie Daniels
Updated Jun 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM
Three days after Alonso senior Jose Fernandez was selected by the Florida Marlins with the 14th pick in the first round, the pitcher met his new team Thursday.
Hours before the Marlins took on the Braves, Fernandez met with the Miami media as well as Marlins players.
“I’m sure he’ll meet the front office there, the owner and whoever,” Alonso coach Landy Faedo said. “I’m sure they’ll have media stuff lined up.”
That trip means he likely will miss his high school graduation, which is scheduled to take place Friday at 8 p.m. at Expo Hall at the State Fairgrounds.
The trip down south also meant he missed the Alonso baseball banquet on Thursday. Fernandez was named the team MVP and picked up the Andy Priede Award, given to the team’s best pitcher. The award is named after former Ravens pitching coach Andy Priede who passed away.
Before watching his Marlins fall to the Braves, 3-2, he spoke to the media. Here’s the story courtesy of the Marlins.