Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Zimmer meets Zim Bear
Posted Feb 24, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 24, 2012 at 08:59 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE It’s alive!
Don Zimmer walked into the Rays spring training complex this morning and was presented with his very own Zim Bear.
So, Zim, what do think?
“I don’t know what to think,” Zimmer said.
The Zim Bear will given to the first 10,000 fans through the doors June 29 when the Rays play the Tigers at Tropicana Field.
Zimmer said he wants to make sure Tigers manager Jim Leyland receives one, since Leyland has called Zimmer several times since the promotion was announced Wednesday to give his long-time friend a hard time over the Zim Bear.
“Now I’ve seen everything,” Leyland told Zimmer on Wednesday.
The promotion has received big play on Twitter with people calling it cute and creepy, cuddly and scary.
Zim, himself, seems to be impressed that he has gone viral, though he admits he’s not sure what that means.