Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
Zimmer meets Zim Bear
Posted Feb 24, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 24, 2012 at 08:59 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE It’s alive!
Don Zimmer walked into the Rays spring training complex this morning and was presented with his very own Zim Bear.
So, Zim, what do think?
“I don’t know what to think,” Zimmer said.
The Zim Bear will given to the first 10,000 fans through the doors June 29 when the Rays play the Tigers at Tropicana Field.
Zimmer said he wants to make sure Tigers manager Jim Leyland receives one, since Leyland has called Zimmer several times since the promotion was announced Wednesday to give his long-time friend a hard time over the Zim Bear.
“Now I’ve seen everything,” Leyland told Zimmer on Wednesday.
The promotion has received big play on Twitter with people calling it cute and creepy, cuddly and scary.
Zim, himself, seems to be impressed that he has gone viral, though he admits he’s not sure what that means.