Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Zenon Konopka to the Bolts?
Posted Jul 5, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 5, 2008 at 12:02 PM
Hat tip to Bolt Prospects for catching this one, but according to the paper in Syracuse former Anaheim farmhand and Syracuse Crunch captain Zenon Konopka has agreed to a two-year contract with Tampa Bay, with the first year at a two-way deal and the second year on a one-way deal.
I spoke with Oren Koules yesterday, and while he didn’t mention this move, he did say that Tampa Bay’s minor league affiliate was not going to be a last place team anymore. And while Konopka is not being ruled out of doing something to make the Lightning roster, this move is clearly a move to strengthen Norfolk. Konopka said it was a difficult decision to leave Syracuse (and Columbus, the parent organization) but was swayed after a conversation he had with new Tampa Bay coach Barry Melrose.