Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
‘You’re my boy, Joe!’
Posted Jun 7, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Jun 7, 2009 at 01:14 PM
NEW YORK—Not sure if the Rays’ TV guys blanketed the airwaves with it or not, but Will Ferrell was in the house yesterday and shown on the stadium scoreboard about a hundred times.
Apparently he spent a little time heckling Joe Maddon from the expensive seats behind the Rays’ dugout, as well. The only thing was, Maddon didn’t realize who was doing the yelling. Obviously, he doesn’t take the time to seek out everyone heckling him, especially in New York.
“I heard somebody yelling; I didn’t know it was him,” Maddon said today. “If I knew it was him, I definitely would have turned around.”
So what sort of things was Ferrell yelling?
“‘Hey Joe Maddon – I know you can hear me,’ something like that,” said Maddon. “It was pretty much that. If somebody at least had poked me and said it’s Ferrell, I would have turned around. I’d have been honored to have been heckled by him – I just didn’t know. Identify yourself next time.”