Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Wesley Chapel QB Ty Tanner transfers to rival Zephyrhills
Posted Feb 21, 2013 by Mike Camunas
Updated Feb 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Zephyrhills picked up another offensive weapon as Bulldogs coach Reggie Roberts confirmed that Wesley Chapel sophomore quarterback Ty Tanner transferred to the nearby rival.
“He enrolled Tuesday,” Roberts, a Zephyrhills alum, said via text message Thursday.
Though Tanner battled injuries in 2012, the 5-foot-8, 150-pound athlete turned in decent numbers for the 3-7 Wildcats that saw coach Ben Alford resign at season’s end to take an out-of-state job.
Tanner went 34-for-58 passing for 445 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions, while rushing for three more touchdowns and 275 yards. Tanner also caught two touchdowns.
Tanner will compete (or work) with incumbent Zephyrhills quarterback, sophomore Mike Smith, who led the Bulldogs to a 6-4 record in 2012, including beating Wesley Chapel 42-19 on Sept. 21.
Smith passed for 1,240 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for three more scores.
The loss is a roster-depth blow to Wildcats first-year coach Tico Hernandez, who left Wiregrass Ranch as the special teams coach to take over for Alford in December, and said last week that “he’s been scouring the halls for every and any football players” but “feels pretty good on who will come out.”