Most Recent Entries
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
Wesley Chapel QB Ty Tanner transfers to rival Zephyrhills
Posted Feb 21, 2013 by Mike Camunas
Updated Feb 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Zephyrhills picked up another offensive weapon as Bulldogs coach Reggie Roberts confirmed that Wesley Chapel sophomore quarterback Ty Tanner transferred to the nearby rival.
“He enrolled Tuesday,” Roberts, a Zephyrhills alum, said via text message Thursday.
Though Tanner battled injuries in 2012, the 5-foot-8, 150-pound athlete turned in decent numbers for the 3-7 Wildcats that saw coach Ben Alford resign at season’s end to take an out-of-state job.
Tanner went 34-for-58 passing for 445 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions, while rushing for three more touchdowns and 275 yards. Tanner also caught two touchdowns.
Tanner will compete (or work) with incumbent Zephyrhills quarterback, sophomore Mike Smith, who led the Bulldogs to a 6-4 record in 2012, including beating Wesley Chapel 42-19 on Sept. 21.
Smith passed for 1,240 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for three more scores.
The loss is a roster-depth blow to Wildcats first-year coach Tico Hernandez, who left Wiregrass Ranch as the special teams coach to take over for Alford in December, and said last week that “he’s been scouring the halls for every and any football players” but “feels pretty good on who will come out.”