Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Wesley Chapel QB Ty Tanner transfers to rival Zephyrhills
Posted Feb 21, 2013 by Mike Camunas
Updated Feb 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Zephyrhills picked up another offensive weapon as Bulldogs coach Reggie Roberts confirmed that Wesley Chapel sophomore quarterback Ty Tanner transferred to the nearby rival.
“He enrolled Tuesday,” Roberts, a Zephyrhills alum, said via text message Thursday.
Though Tanner battled injuries in 2012, the 5-foot-8, 150-pound athlete turned in decent numbers for the 3-7 Wildcats that saw coach Ben Alford resign at season’s end to take an out-of-state job.
Tanner went 34-for-58 passing for 445 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions, while rushing for three more touchdowns and 275 yards. Tanner also caught two touchdowns.
Tanner will compete (or work) with incumbent Zephyrhills quarterback, sophomore Mike Smith, who led the Bulldogs to a 6-4 record in 2012, including beating Wesley Chapel 42-19 on Sept. 21.
Smith passed for 1,240 yards and 12 touchdowns, while rushing for three more scores.
The loss is a roster-depth blow to Wildcats first-year coach Tico Hernandez, who left Wiregrass Ranch as the special teams coach to take over for Alford in December, and said last week that “he’s been scouring the halls for every and any football players” but “feels pretty good on who will come out.”