Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Wait…Kevin Costner has a band?
Posted Oct 18, 2007 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Oct 18, 2007 at 12:06 PM
The Rays will indeed have the promised “major entertainment star” on hand Nov. 8 when they unveil their new look at Straub Park in downtown St. Pete. I initially wondered about the wording of that, since you figure they’d just call a band a band. Now I get it. The star in question is indeed major—Kevin Costner—but he also happens to have a band. Who knew?
Yep, the big screen’s favorite minor-league catcher and have-a-catcher fronts a group called Modern West. You can sample their rock/roots music/Americana on the band’s official MySpace page. Based on the handful of tour dates listed, St. Pete’s in good company. Rome? Istanbul? The Bahamas? Guess they’re not traveling by bus.
Anyway, the St. Pete shindig will begin at 6:30 p.m., immediately following the fashion show (beginning at 5:30) that will serve as the official debut of the Rays’ new uniforms. Fireworks will follow Modern West’s set at 8 p.m. The fashion show is scheduled to include current Rays players and coaches along with the likes of Wade Boggs and Fred McGriff.
The festivities will continue Friday the 9th with player appearances in the community beginning at 7 a.m., a lunchtime event at Gaslight Park in downtown Tampa and 6 p.m. appearances by Rays players at Champs Sports locations around the area.