Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Vrbata signing confirmed (Kolzig next?)
Posted Jul 1, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 1, 2008 at 01:25 PM
Just got confirmation that Radim Vrbata has indeed signed with the Lightning. He has signed a three-year deal for $9 million.
Word is that Olie Kolzig is next on their radar as a 1B goaltender to Mike Smith (a source indicated something is close) . We’ll see.
Still waiting to hear on Rolston.
Vrbata can slot right into the second line (assuming Rolston is out of the mix) and he is a defensively responsible player. He scored 27 goals with Phoenix last season, which was easily a career high for him. At the age of 27 (he just had a birtday on June 13) he is still young enough to grow and become a consistent top-six forward. Or, he could have just peaked as his previous high in goals was 18, which he did his rookie year with Colorado in 2001-02.