Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Vrbata signing confirmed (Kolzig next?)
Posted Jul 1, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 1, 2008 at 01:25 PM
Just got confirmation that Radim Vrbata has indeed signed with the Lightning. He has signed a three-year deal for $9 million.
Word is that Olie Kolzig is next on their radar as a 1B goaltender to Mike Smith (a source indicated something is close) . We’ll see.
Still waiting to hear on Rolston.
Vrbata can slot right into the second line (assuming Rolston is out of the mix) and he is a defensively responsible player. He scored 27 goals with Phoenix last season, which was easily a career high for him. At the age of 27 (he just had a birtday on June 13) he is still young enough to grow and become a consistent top-six forward. Or, he could have just peaked as his previous high in goals was 18, which he did his rookie year with Colorado in 2001-02.