Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
Vrbata signing confirmed (Kolzig next?)
Posted Jul 1, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 1, 2008 at 01:25 PM
Just got confirmation that Radim Vrbata has indeed signed with the Lightning. He has signed a three-year deal for $9 million.
Word is that Olie Kolzig is next on their radar as a 1B goaltender to Mike Smith (a source indicated something is close) . We’ll see.
Still waiting to hear on Rolston.
Vrbata can slot right into the second line (assuming Rolston is out of the mix) and he is a defensively responsible player. He scored 27 goals with Phoenix last season, which was easily a career high for him. At the age of 27 (he just had a birtday on June 13) he is still young enough to grow and become a consistent top-six forward. Or, he could have just peaked as his previous high in goals was 18, which he did his rookie year with Colorado in 2001-02.