Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Upton to DL, Gomes to Durham and Brignac back in the lineup
Posted Mar 28, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 28, 2012 at 06:42 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE This last hour has been busy here at Charlotte Sports Park as the Opening Day roster begins to take shape.
CF B.J. Upton said he will begin the year on the disabled list.
“No timetable, no finish line to when this will get better,” Upton said. “I’m going to get with (head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield) and get a program, and when I’m ready to go I’m ready to go.”
OF Sam Fuld said he will see Dr. Thomas Graham on Monday at the Cleveland Clinic and if surgery is recommended for the strained tendon in his right wrist, he will have it Tuesday.
Fuld said the surgery is not season-ending, but he won’t know a timetable for his return until after the procedure.
SS Reid Brignac has been cleared to play with the big club.
“It was what I was hoping to hear,” he said.
Brignac said the pain from the plantar fasciitis is tolerable and if the tendon pops it pops and he will miss two weeks to a month while it heals. He said he will come off the bench Thursday when the Rays play the Phillies in Clearwater and could start Friday when the Rays play the Pirates in Bradenton.
Also, the Rays optioned RHP Brandon Gomes to minor league camp, meaning RHP Burke Badenhop makes the bullpen.
C Chris Gimenez was reassigned to minor league camp.
RHPs Ryan Reid and Marquis Fleming were told they will not make the team but will remain with the club over the next few days to give them some arms down in the bullpen.