Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Upton to DL, Gomes to Durham and Brignac back in the lineup
Posted Mar 28, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 28, 2012 at 06:42 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE This last hour has been busy here at Charlotte Sports Park as the Opening Day roster begins to take shape.
CF B.J. Upton said he will begin the year on the disabled list.
“No timetable, no finish line to when this will get better,” Upton said. “I’m going to get with (head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield) and get a program, and when I’m ready to go I’m ready to go.”
OF Sam Fuld said he will see Dr. Thomas Graham on Monday at the Cleveland Clinic and if surgery is recommended for the strained tendon in his right wrist, he will have it Tuesday.
Fuld said the surgery is not season-ending, but he won’t know a timetable for his return until after the procedure.
SS Reid Brignac has been cleared to play with the big club.
“It was what I was hoping to hear,” he said.
Brignac said the pain from the plantar fasciitis is tolerable and if the tendon pops it pops and he will miss two weeks to a month while it heals. He said he will come off the bench Thursday when the Rays play the Phillies in Clearwater and could start Friday when the Rays play the Pirates in Bradenton.
Also, the Rays optioned RHP Brandon Gomes to minor league camp, meaning RHP Burke Badenhop makes the bullpen.
C Chris Gimenez was reassigned to minor league camp.
RHPs Ryan Reid and Marquis Fleming were told they will not make the team but will remain with the club over the next few days to give them some arms down in the bullpen.