Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Upton to DL, Gomes to Durham and Brignac back in the lineup
Posted Mar 28, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 28, 2012 at 06:42 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE This last hour has been busy here at Charlotte Sports Park as the Opening Day roster begins to take shape.
CF B.J. Upton said he will begin the year on the disabled list.
“No timetable, no finish line to when this will get better,” Upton said. “I’m going to get with (head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield) and get a program, and when I’m ready to go I’m ready to go.”
OF Sam Fuld said he will see Dr. Thomas Graham on Monday at the Cleveland Clinic and if surgery is recommended for the strained tendon in his right wrist, he will have it Tuesday.
Fuld said the surgery is not season-ending, but he won’t know a timetable for his return until after the procedure.
SS Reid Brignac has been cleared to play with the big club.
“It was what I was hoping to hear,” he said.
Brignac said the pain from the plantar fasciitis is tolerable and if the tendon pops it pops and he will miss two weeks to a month while it heals. He said he will come off the bench Thursday when the Rays play the Phillies in Clearwater and could start Friday when the Rays play the Pirates in Bradenton.
Also, the Rays optioned RHP Brandon Gomes to minor league camp, meaning RHP Burke Badenhop makes the bullpen.
C Chris Gimenez was reassigned to minor league camp.
RHPs Ryan Reid and Marquis Fleming were told they will not make the team but will remain with the club over the next few days to give them some arms down in the bullpen.