Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Upton, Rodney, Niemann updates
Posted Apr 2, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 2, 2012 at 09:57 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Here some updates on the walking wounded …
B.J. Upton said he felt pain-free this morning after throwing and hitting Sunday, something that hasn’t happened in a while. He said he hit off a tee this morning and his lower back felt fine. He’s targeting a return during sometime on the first road trip.
Fernando Rodney said his bruised right forearm, which was struck by a line drive last Wednesday, felt fine this morning, one day after throwing between 30 and 35 pitches in a bullpen session. He will pitch Tuesday against the Twins in Fort Myers and expects to be ready by Friday’s season-opener.
Jeff Niemann said the blister on the tip of his right middle finger improves each day. He threw a bullpen Sunday with tape over the blister and will pitch Wednesday at the Trop. He also expects to be ready by the start of the season.