Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Upper Deck releases images from SP Game Used Hockey
Posted Oct 12, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Even though there won’t be any pro hockey on the ice for a while, Upper Deck is gearing up for hockey by reliving this past season’s Stanley Cup Finals.
The 2012-13 SP Game Used Edition, will showcase memorabilia cards that have pieces of the nets from three different contests (Games 3, 4 and 6) and the debut of NHL shield cards. The pieces of the nets will include the cords and skirts, which will be autographed.
Other items new to SP Game Used Edition this year will be Supreme Patches, Supreme Sticks and Supreme Skate memorabilia cards. The swatches will measure 1 inch high by 2.75 inches wide. Another newcomer is the Tandem Twigs relic insert set, which will include game-used memorabilia from two players on a card; one example Upper Deck highlighted on its sell sheet was of Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier.
Authentic Rookies and Draft Day Marks also look to have generous helpings of game-used material. There will be 50 different Authentic Rookies cards, with each card numbered to that player’s jersey. Also look for 1/1 variations. Draft Day Marks will have a large letter in the middle of the card, and some will be autographed.
A hobby box will contain five packs, with five cards to a pack. Upper Deck promises one autograph card and four autograph and/or memorabilia cards per box.
Upper Deck is touting “a lower price point” for SP Game Used Edition, but did not reveal what that cost would be. A release day also remains unknown for now.