Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
Upper Deck previews All-Time Greats
Posted May 16, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated May 16, 2012 at 06:14 PM
Upper Deck released some images and more information about its All-Time Greats Sports Edition set, which is scheduled to hit the shelves on July 10.
This is going to be a very limited set; there are only going to be 20 players featured in the 100-card base set. Granted, there are some big names here: Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Bobby Orr, Dan Marino, Jerry Rice, Annika Sorenstam, Landon Donovan, Larry Bird, LeBron James, Barry Sanders, Richard Petty, Kelly Slater, Joe Sakic, Wayne Gretzky, Bo Jackson, Mario Lemieux, Pete Rose, Hulk Hogan, Mike Tyson and Troy Aikman.
A box will contain one pack, consisting of four cards. The breakdown will be three base cards and an autograph per pack.
The top inserts are Personal Touch Signatures, Lettermen Signatures, Athletes of the Century, All-Time Forces Hologram Signatures and Shining Moments Signatures. All autographs will be on the card, and not via sticker.
No stickers for these autograph cards. The subject signed on the card, and that is certainly appealing.
Upper Deck has added in some other notable names, particularly in its Legacy Book Cards. Combinations include Tyson and Joe Frazier, Woods and Ben Hogan, and Sanders and Red Grange.
All-Time Forces Hologram cards will feature dual signatures, combining Jordan and Woods, Gretzky and Lemieux, and James and Bird.
Including Hogan in this set is an interesting call, but then again, the Tampa native’s impact on professional wrestling during the 1980s was just as significant as Woods’ or Jordan’s were in their sports. So it’s all relative.