Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Unsigned Rays pick will attend Chipola
Posted Aug 21, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Aug 21, 2009 at 08:28 PM
LeVon Washington plans to spend a year at Chipola College before taking another spin at the MLB draft after he and the Rays couldn’t come to an agreement this week.
Washington told the Gainesville Sun today that he will attend the Panhandle junior college this school year and re-enter the draft in 2010.
“I’m ready for school and another chance for the draft,” Washington said in a text message to the Sun.
The second baseman/outfielder from Buchholz High in Gainesville had planned to play at Florida but didn’t qualify academically.