Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Unsigned Rays pick will attend Chipola
Posted Aug 21, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Aug 21, 2009 at 08:28 PM
LeVon Washington plans to spend a year at Chipola College before taking another spin at the MLB draft after he and the Rays couldn’t come to an agreement this week.
Washington told the Gainesville Sun today that he will attend the Panhandle junior college this school year and re-enter the draft in 2010.
“I’m ready for school and another chance for the draft,” Washington said in a text message to the Sun.
The second baseman/outfielder from Buchholz High in Gainesville had planned to play at Florida but didn’t qualify academically.