Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Unsigned Rays pick will attend Chipola
Posted Aug 21, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Aug 21, 2009 at 08:28 PM
LeVon Washington plans to spend a year at Chipola College before taking another spin at the MLB draft after he and the Rays couldn’t come to an agreement this week.
Washington told the Gainesville Sun today that he will attend the Panhandle junior college this school year and re-enter the draft in 2010.
“I’m ready for school and another chance for the draft,” Washington said in a text message to the Sun.
The second baseman/outfielder from Buchholz High in Gainesville had planned to play at Florida but didn’t qualify academically.