Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Topps reveals redemption specials for national convention
Posted Jun 13, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Jun 13, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Are you wondering if Topps will have any special Bryce Harper cards at the 2012 National Collector’s Convention in Baltimore?
That’s a clown question, bro.
I just had to throw in that reference to Harper’s retort to a silly question earlier this week. Of course Topps will be showcasing one of its marquee spokesmen — in separate box and wrapper redemption promotions during the event, which will be held Aug. 1-5 at the Baltimore Convention Center. You will have to visit the Topps booth to participate.
The first is a Bowman Platinum box redemption. Collectors who open a full box of Bowman Platinum baseball at the Topps booth will receive a 25-card, sequentially numbered blue foil parallel set. The set will include Harper, Yu Darvish and randomly inserted autographs.
The second redemption is a nine-card 2012 Gypsy Queen mini-card set featuring hot rookies in both major-league baseball and the NFL. Collectors who visit the Topps booth and open three packs of any 2012 Topps/Bowman MLB or NFL products can redeem their wrappers for one of nine NFL/MLB Rookies. The subjects are Harper, Darvish, Yoenis Cespedes, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Trent Richardson, Michael Floyd and Justin Blackmon.
Special cards are always fun, so collectors at the Nationals who shell out some cash should have some fun.