Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Topps offers Series 1 baseball wrapper redemption for Silver Slate parallels
Posted Jan 29, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 09:20 PM
While it’s exciting to rip into new packs of baseball cards, Topps is urging collectors to save those wrappers. It could produce some nice inserts.
Topps’ flagship product, Series 1 baseball, hits the shelves with hobby boxes on Wednesday. Several places already have some retail packs and blaster boxes available, too.
Topps is offering collectors a special Series 1 wrapper redemption to celebrate the unofficial start of the 2013 baseball season. The cards will be part of a 330-card Silver Slate parallel set.
Collectors sending in 50 hobby or retail wrappers (you can mix and match), or 10 HTA Jumbo wrappers) of 2013 Topps Series 1 will receive a five-card cello pack of exclusive Silver Slate Parallels.
In addition to the “base” parallels, bonus autographed cards have been randomly inserted into packs and feature the players like Cal Ripken Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., Nolan Ryan, Tony Gwynn, Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy.
There is a 10-pack limit per household, and Topps officials said if you want 10 cello packs, for example, then it’s OK to send all the wrappers in one pacakge. All packages must be postmarked no earlier than Jan. 30, 2013 (that’s Wednesday); anything postmarked before that will not be accepted.
Supplies are limited, and Topps will only be producing 10,000 cello packs. So here’s the disclaimer: Topps will fulfill all wrappers submitted until supplies last, and of course, Topps reserves the right to reject any and all submissions at their own discretion.
Wrappers should be sent to:
Silver Slate Wrapper Redemption
P.O. Box 2008
Duryea, PA 18642
Topps officials said updates will be sent out on their Twitter account @toppscards.
I always look forward to the release of Series 1, and this gives collectors a little bit more of a jump start.