Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Topps offers Series 1 baseball wrapper redemption for Silver Slate parallels
Posted Jan 29, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 09:20 PM
While it’s exciting to rip into new packs of baseball cards, Topps is urging collectors to save those wrappers. It could produce some nice inserts.
Topps’ flagship product, Series 1 baseball, hits the shelves with hobby boxes on Wednesday. Several places already have some retail packs and blaster boxes available, too.
Topps is offering collectors a special Series 1 wrapper redemption to celebrate the unofficial start of the 2013 baseball season. The cards will be part of a 330-card Silver Slate parallel set.
Collectors sending in 50 hobby or retail wrappers (you can mix and match), or 10 HTA Jumbo wrappers) of 2013 Topps Series 1 will receive a five-card cello pack of exclusive Silver Slate Parallels.
In addition to the “base” parallels, bonus autographed cards have been randomly inserted into packs and feature the players like Cal Ripken Jr., Ken Griffey Jr., Nolan Ryan, Tony Gwynn, Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy.
There is a 10-pack limit per household, and Topps officials said if you want 10 cello packs, for example, then it’s OK to send all the wrappers in one pacakge. All packages must be postmarked no earlier than Jan. 30, 2013 (that’s Wednesday); anything postmarked before that will not be accepted.
Supplies are limited, and Topps will only be producing 10,000 cello packs. So here’s the disclaimer: Topps will fulfill all wrappers submitted until supplies last, and of course, Topps reserves the right to reject any and all submissions at their own discretion.
Wrappers should be sent to:
Silver Slate Wrapper Redemption
P.O. Box 2008
Duryea, PA 18642
Topps officials said updates will be sent out on their Twitter account @toppscards.
I always look forward to the release of Series 1, and this gives collectors a little bit more of a jump start.