Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
The Nerds head north
Posted May 24, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 24, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Elliot Johnson (above) and Joel Peralta (below) displayed their inner nerd this afternoon before boarding the Rays charter flight to Boston.
Joe Maddon thought up the Ken Rosenthal/Nerd road trip theme to raise money for BowTie Cause, a philanthropic initiative started by former NFL linebacker Dhani Jones.
Rosenthal, the Fox baseball reporter, wears a bow tie to raise money for charities.
The BowTie Cause donated $100 per bow tie for 30 ties, raising $3,000 to benefit 18 charities.
Rosenthal, who is in Boston in anticipation of Fox’s broadcast of the Rays-Red Sox on Saturday night, tweeted he will meet the Rays plane and judge the nerdiest Ray.
To see a gallery of the nerdy Rays, click here.