Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
The Nerds head north
Posted May 24, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 24, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Elliot Johnson (above) and Joel Peralta (below) displayed their inner nerd this afternoon before boarding the Rays charter flight to Boston.
Joe Maddon thought up the Ken Rosenthal/Nerd road trip theme to raise money for BowTie Cause, a philanthropic initiative started by former NFL linebacker Dhani Jones.
Rosenthal, the Fox baseball reporter, wears a bow tie to raise money for charities.
The BowTie Cause donated $100 per bow tie for 30 ties, raising $3,000 to benefit 18 charities.
Rosenthal, who is in Boston in anticipation of Fox’s broadcast of the Rays-Red Sox on Saturday night, tweeted he will meet the Rays plane and judge the nerdiest Ray.
To see a gallery of the nerdy Rays, click here.