Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
The Nerds head north
Posted May 24, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 24, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Elliot Johnson (above) and Joel Peralta (below) displayed their inner nerd this afternoon before boarding the Rays charter flight to Boston.
Joe Maddon thought up the Ken Rosenthal/Nerd road trip theme to raise money for BowTie Cause, a philanthropic initiative started by former NFL linebacker Dhani Jones.
Rosenthal, the Fox baseball reporter, wears a bow tie to raise money for charities.
The BowTie Cause donated $100 per bow tie for 30 ties, raising $3,000 to benefit 18 charities.
Rosenthal, who is in Boston in anticipation of Fox’s broadcast of the Rays-Red Sox on Saturday night, tweeted he will meet the Rays plane and judge the nerdiest Ray.
To see a gallery of the nerdy Rays, click here.