Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
The first trade and a big re-signing
Posted Feb 25, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Feb 25, 2008 at 11:07 PM
Judging from the way the dominoes are falling to this point, it sounds like the meeting this morning between Lightning front office staff and perspective ownership had a positive outcome. Nobody has spoken publicly about what took place - the Lightning officials were made unavailable early in the morning and Oren Koules has kept out of the public spotlight throughout the entire process - but here’s the deal, and it’s a big deal.
First, Defenseman Dan Boyle has officially - and finally - has singed a 6-year, $40 million extension. Boyle, who had a no-trade clause in his current deal, has a straight no-trade clause for the first four years of his current deal and a limited no-trade in the final two years in which he has the right to veto a trade to a list of eight teams.
In addition, Vinny Prospal has been traded to Philadelphia in exchange for defenseman Alexadre Picard and a conditional draft pick in 2009. The pick will be Calgary’s third round pick, but if the Flyers reach the conference finals, it becomes a second round pick.