Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
TBT hires Higgins as new baseball coach
Posted Aug 16, 2012 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Aug 16, 2012 at 03:00 PM
Tampa Bay Tech has hired alumnus Yuri Higgins as its new baseball coach according to athletic director Joe Reid.
Higgins, a right handed pitcher and 2003 graduate of TBT, went on to play at the University of South Florida graduating in 2007 before being drafted in the 2007 MLB First Year Players Draft in the 38th round by the Chicago Cubs. Higgins spent two years in the Cubs minor league system. He returned to USF as a graduate assistant and in 2009 he began teaching business at TBT.
“I’m happy and excited about the chance to coach at my alma mater,” Higgins said. “This is something I’ve always thought about doing. I want to build the program into a contender and I think we have the kids to do that.”
Higgins, who also played wide receiver for the Titans, replaces Jason Gordon who took a teaching position at Steinbrenner and takes over a team that was 2-21 last season.
Reid also announced TBT has hired Daniel Ladd as its new girls golf coach and Emily Weaver as girls swimming coach.
-Staff writer Bill Ward contributed to this story