Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
TBT hires Higgins as new baseball coach
Posted Aug 16, 2012 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Aug 16, 2012 at 03:00 PM
Tampa Bay Tech has hired alumnus Yuri Higgins as its new baseball coach according to athletic director Joe Reid.
Higgins, a right handed pitcher and 2003 graduate of TBT, went on to play at the University of South Florida graduating in 2007 before being drafted in the 2007 MLB First Year Players Draft in the 38th round by the Chicago Cubs. Higgins spent two years in the Cubs minor league system. He returned to USF as a graduate assistant and in 2009 he began teaching business at TBT.
“I’m happy and excited about the chance to coach at my alma mater,” Higgins said. “This is something I’ve always thought about doing. I want to build the program into a contender and I think we have the kids to do that.”
Higgins, who also played wide receiver for the Titans, replaces Jason Gordon who took a teaching position at Steinbrenner and takes over a team that was 2-21 last season.
Reid also announced TBT has hired Daniel Ladd as its new girls golf coach and Emily Weaver as girls swimming coach.
-Staff writer Bill Ward contributed to this story