Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Tampa Prep grabbing medals at state track
Posted Apr 27, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 27, 2012 at 06:48 PM
The Class 1A state track and field meet is only about half over but the Tampa Prep track team has already hauled in some medals.
The grab started with the Terrapins’ boys 4x800-meter relay team of Oscar Skjaerpe, Sam Wall, Chris Carnes and Miller Judge. That foursome teamed up to run a school record time of 8 minutes, 6.05 seconds. Skjaerpe split 2 minutes flat, Wall went 2:02, Carnes 2:03 and Judge anchored with a 1:58. Terrps coach Joe Ranalli says the big improvements came from Wall and Carnes, who shaved seven and 10 seconds, respectively, from their prior bests in the 800.
Shortly after that medal-winning performance, Tampa Prep junior Carly Reiner competed inthe triple jump. Fourth at last year’s state meet, Reiner improved her personal best by a half inch Friday to 36 feet, 10.5 inches to rise to third place and the bronze medal. It was a close call for Reiner, however, because she fouled on her first two attempts of the qualifying round and had to get a mark of 35-9 on her last jump to reach the final.
In the boys long jump, Seffner Christian’s Brandon Ardley also made it to the medals podium, taking sixth place with a mark of 21-4.
Stay tuned to TBO.com for updates. The running even finals have just started at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville.