Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
Tampa Prep grabbing medals at state track
Posted Apr 27, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 27, 2012 at 06:48 PM
The Class 1A state track and field meet is only about half over but the Tampa Prep track team has already hauled in some medals.
The grab started with the Terrapins’ boys 4x800-meter relay team of Oscar Skjaerpe, Sam Wall, Chris Carnes and Miller Judge. That foursome teamed up to run a school record time of 8 minutes, 6.05 seconds. Skjaerpe split 2 minutes flat, Wall went 2:02, Carnes 2:03 and Judge anchored with a 1:58. Terrps coach Joe Ranalli says the big improvements came from Wall and Carnes, who shaved seven and 10 seconds, respectively, from their prior bests in the 800.
Shortly after that medal-winning performance, Tampa Prep junior Carly Reiner competed inthe triple jump. Fourth at last year’s state meet, Reiner improved her personal best by a half inch Friday to 36 feet, 10.5 inches to rise to third place and the bronze medal. It was a close call for Reiner, however, because she fouled on her first two attempts of the qualifying round and had to get a mark of 35-9 on her last jump to reach the final.
In the boys long jump, Seffner Christian’s Brandon Ardley also made it to the medals podium, taking sixth place with a mark of 21-4.
Stay tuned to TBO.com for updates. The running even finals have just started at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville.