Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Tampa Bay Lightning to play preseason game in Orlando
Posted Jul 18, 2011 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 18, 2011 at 05:22 PM
The Lightning will hold a news conference on Tuesday in Orlando to announce a preseason game against the St. Louis Blues.
The team along with the city of Orlando sent out media advisories on Monday to announce a 2:15 p.m. announcement on Tuesday at Amway Center regarding Tampa Bay’s preseason schedule. The current Lightning preseason schedule includes a Sept. 21 date against St. Louis with a site to be determined. The two teams had been scheduled to play in Winnipeg, Manitoba, that night but the game was cancelled when the Atlanta Thrashers were sold and renamed the Winnipeg Jets.
Along with former Lightning captain Dave Andreychuk, Tampa Bay will also be represented by Chief Operating Officer Steve Griggs, who previously worked for the Orlando Magic. Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer is also scheduled to attend the news conference.
The Lightning previously played four preseason games in Orlando between 1992 and 1996 and played five regular season games at the old Orlando Arena during the 1993-94 season drawing between 8,800 and 11,000 fans.
Tampa Bay is scheduled to open up training camp at the Ice Sports Forum in Brandon on Sept. 17 and open the preseason schedule on Sept. 20 in St. Louis against the Blues. The only home exhibition game is scheduled for Sept. 23 against the Florida Panthers. The Lightning will also play a preseason game Sept. 24 at Florida, Oct. 1 at Montreal and Oct. 3 in Quebec City, Quebec, against Montreal.