Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Tampa Bay Lightning to play preseason game in Orlando
Posted Jul 18, 2011 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 18, 2011 at 05:22 PM
The Lightning will hold a news conference on Tuesday in Orlando to announce a preseason game against the St. Louis Blues.
The team along with the city of Orlando sent out media advisories on Monday to announce a 2:15 p.m. announcement on Tuesday at Amway Center regarding Tampa Bay’s preseason schedule. The current Lightning preseason schedule includes a Sept. 21 date against St. Louis with a site to be determined. The two teams had been scheduled to play in Winnipeg, Manitoba, that night but the game was cancelled when the Atlanta Thrashers were sold and renamed the Winnipeg Jets.
Along with former Lightning captain Dave Andreychuk, Tampa Bay will also be represented by Chief Operating Officer Steve Griggs, who previously worked for the Orlando Magic. Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer is also scheduled to attend the news conference.
The Lightning previously played four preseason games in Orlando between 1992 and 1996 and played five regular season games at the old Orlando Arena during the 1993-94 season drawing between 8,800 and 11,000 fans.
Tampa Bay is scheduled to open up training camp at the Ice Sports Forum in Brandon on Sept. 17 and open the preseason schedule on Sept. 20 in St. Louis against the Blues. The only home exhibition game is scheduled for Sept. 23 against the Florida Panthers. The Lightning will also play a preseason game Sept. 24 at Florida, Oct. 1 at Montreal and Oct. 3 in Quebec City, Quebec, against Montreal.