Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Sunlake kicker, soccer striker Connor Gilboy takes preferred walk on at Florida
Posted Feb 21, 2013 by Mike Camunas
Updated Feb 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Despite the records and stellar soccer career, Sunlake’s Connor Gilboy has decided to continue kicking in another sport.
On Thursday, Gilboy, who broke the Pasco County boys soccer single-season scoring record this season, opted to accept a preferred walk-on role at Florida, where he’ll compete to become a kicker on the Gators roster. Sunlake boys soccer coach Sam Koleduk confirmed the choice.
Gilboy, who had a county-high 60 goals while leading the Seahawks to a historic season (30-1) that resulted with a Class 3A state semifinal berth, had soccer scholarship offers on the table, but opted to go with football after kicking and punting his sophomore and senior seasons for Sunlake’s football team.
Gilboy, who was selected the first team of the Tribune’s All-Pasco Football team, was third on the team in scoring with 50 points off 29 extra points and seven field goals for the 8-2 Seahawks.
Gilboy topped former Land O’ Lakes standout Justin Geisler’s record of 55 goals in 2000 to set the new record, but missed the county’s all-time record by three. Ridgewood’s Melissa Wells scored 63 goals in 1991.