Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Sunlake kicker, soccer striker Connor Gilboy takes preferred walk on at Florida
Posted Feb 21, 2013 by Mike Camunas
Updated Feb 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Despite the records and stellar soccer career, Sunlake’s Connor Gilboy has decided to continue kicking in another sport.
On Thursday, Gilboy, who broke the Pasco County boys soccer single-season scoring record this season, opted to accept a preferred walk-on role at Florida, where he’ll compete to become a kicker on the Gators roster. Sunlake boys soccer coach Sam Koleduk confirmed the choice.
Gilboy, who had a county-high 60 goals while leading the Seahawks to a historic season (30-1) that resulted with a Class 3A state semifinal berth, had soccer scholarship offers on the table, but opted to go with football after kicking and punting his sophomore and senior seasons for Sunlake’s football team.
Gilboy, who was selected the first team of the Tribune’s All-Pasco Football team, was third on the team in scoring with 50 points off 29 extra points and seven field goals for the 8-2 Seahawks.
Gilboy topped former Land O’ Lakes standout Justin Geisler’s record of 55 goals in 2000 to set the new record, but missed the county’s all-time record by three. Ridgewood’s Melissa Wells scored 63 goals in 1991.