Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Sturgis Week 1 winner in Pepsi/Panini ROW promo
Posted Sep 13, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Sep 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM
The fans’ voting is in for the Pepsi Next NFL rookie of the week, and the Week 1 winner was Miami Dolphins kicker Caleb Sturgis.
That means the former University of Florida star will have his own virtual card, produced by Panini America.
Sturgis was selected from among five finalists through fan votes on NFL.comThe other finalists were Jets quarterback Geno Smith, Bills quarterback E.J. Manuel, Saints wide receiver Kenny Stills and 49ers safety Eric Reid.
In Week 1 of the NFL season, Sturgis was 3-for-3 on field goal attempts (including a 49-yarder) and added two extra points.
After the regular season, five players will be nominated for the Pepsi Next rookie of the year award. Fans will be able to vote during the month of January, and the winner will be announced on Feb. 2, 2014, the night before Super Bowl XLVIII.
Panini, meanwhile, will produce an actual trading card set of all the weekly winners.