Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Sturgis Week 1 winner in Pepsi/Panini ROW promo
Posted Sep 13, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Sep 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM
The fans’ voting is in for the Pepsi Next NFL rookie of the week, and the Week 1 winner was Miami Dolphins kicker Caleb Sturgis.
That means the former University of Florida star will have his own virtual card, produced by Panini America.
Sturgis was selected from among five finalists through fan votes on NFL.comThe other finalists were Jets quarterback Geno Smith, Bills quarterback E.J. Manuel, Saints wide receiver Kenny Stills and 49ers safety Eric Reid.
In Week 1 of the NFL season, Sturgis was 3-for-3 on field goal attempts (including a 49-yarder) and added two extra points.
After the regular season, five players will be nominated for the Pepsi Next rookie of the year award. Fans will be able to vote during the month of January, and the winner will be announced on Feb. 2, 2014, the night before Super Bowl XLVIII.
Panini, meanwhile, will produce an actual trading card set of all the weekly winners.