Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Sternberg: Payroll to go down after this season
Posted Feb 15, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 15, 2010 at 09:16 PM
Rays owner Stuart Sternberg was a guest Monday night on the Rays weekly Hot Stove Show (WDAE 620 am) and told hosts Andy Freed and Dave Wills that Rays fans can expect a reduced payroll after this season.
“It won’t be 70 (million) and it won’t be 60 (million),” he said.
The payroll is around $72 million for 2010 and includes huge contracts for Carl Crawford ($10 million), Carlos Pena ($10.125) and newly signed closer Rafael Soriano ($7.25).
“We did out-spend ourselves last year and completely out-spent ourselves this year, and we’ll feel the effects of that next year,” Sternberg said.
Crawford and Pena are in the final years of their contracts. Soriano recieved a one-year deal.
Trading for and paying Soriano was a sign the Rays are loading up for another run at the World Series, but it is hard to see a scenario where the Rays resign Crawford, Pena, Soriano or any combination of the three.