Most Recent Entries
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
Steinbrenner’s Merrell verbally commits to USF
Posted Jun 28, 2012 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Jun 28, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Steinbrenner’s Kevin Merrell, who will be a junior next season, has verbally committed to play baseball at the University of South Florida, Warriors’ coach John Crumbley said.
Merrell hit .298 last season with 12 runs, seven RBI and six stolen bases. However, maybe his most important contribution last season was making the transition from centerfield to shortstop after a season-ending injury to senior Stone Ramsey.
Crumbley said Merrell hit .315 as a freshman and was offered by South Florida after attending a camp with Bulls’ coaches, who were impressed by his speed.
Merrell was also a part of the 2008 Citrus Park Little League team that went 2-1 in the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Penn.