Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Steinbrenner’s Gonzalez commits to join sister at University of Tampa
Posted Oct 12, 2012 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Oct 12, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Steinbrenner junior defender Miranda Gonzalez said she has verbally committed to play soccer at the University of Tampa. Gonzalez earned All-Hillsborough County first team honors in her first two seasons with the Warriors. As a freshman, she helped anchor the defense for the 2011 Class 4A state champions.
Last season Gonzalez helped the Warriors to a 16-4-2 record and a third-straight district title. On top of aiding the defense, she also chipped in with two goals.
Gonzalez will join her sister Cici Gonzalez, a Steinbrenner alum who was a three-time All-Hillsborough team first teamer, at UT in 2014. The older Gonzalez has had a stellar freshman season for the Spartans (10-3-1) scoring 11 goals and adding four assists.
“Getting to play with my sister in college was a big part of my decision,” the younger Gonzalez said. “But the campus is beautiful, I really like (Spartan’s Coach) Gerry (Lucey), the program is one of the best in the country and I know I’ll get a great education at UT.”
Gonzalez said Steinbrenner is holding tryouts this week and will start practice next week for the upcoming season.