Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Stamkos to sign on Tuesday
Posted Jul 28, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 28, 2008 at 09:44 PM
I didn’t post this earlier since my thunder was stolen by Ken
Yes, Steven Stamkos will speak on Tuesday about his brand-spanking new contract that guarantees he will make $2.625 million in base salary the next three years. The base salary of $875,000 is the maximum allowed under the collective bargaining agreement. The bonuses for each season are capped out at $2.85 million.
The bonuses are divided into two categories, Type A and Type B
The A bonuses include: finishing among top six on team in ice time; reaching minimum 20 goals, minimum 35 assists, minimum 60 points, averaging .73 points per game, finishing among top three on team in plus/minus among forwards, being named to the All-Rookie team, being named to the All-Star game and being named All-Star game MVP. The maximum bonus for each category is $212,500
The B clauses include finishing in top five voting for Hart or Selke Trophy and top five in the Rocket Richard trophy (goals scored)
Top three in Lady Byng voting
Top three in Calder Trophy
Named first or second team all-star
Winning the Conn Smythe Trophy
There are also bonuses allowed for finishing in the top 10 in goals, assists, points or points per game. There is also a bonus for number of games played, but I haven’t been able to figure out how that all factors into the equation. I hope to have an answer for all this and break it down by Tuesday night.
A press conference has been called for 5 p.m. in Victoria, British Columbia, where Stamkos is participating in a team prospect camp. Stamkos, by the way, skipped a training camp for Team Canada this week in preparation for the World Junior championships that are set to take place in Ottawa beginning the day after Christmas. Not sure if there’s a chance Stamkos could still play in the tournament, although I’m sure Hockey Canada will ask the Lightning about this as the tournament draws closer.
Two other Lightning prospects are participating in camp with Team Canada - 2007 second-round pick Dana Tyrell, who attended the camp last year but was not selected, and goaltender Dustin Tokarski, who was drafted in the fifth round in the 2008 draft. Tokarski backstopped Spokane to a Memorial Cup championship earlier this year.