Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Sprained wrist sidelines Jennings
Posted Mar 11, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 11, 2010 at 12:44 AM
By ROGER MOONEY
PORT CHARLOTTE Desmond Jennings’ first visit to big league camp could be going better.
First, he’s drilled on his left elbow during his very first at-bat in his very first Grapefruit League game and misses a few days.
Next, he sprains his left wrist while sliding Monday during a failed attempt at stealing second base. That came against the Orioles in Jennings first start with the varsity.
Jennings, an outfielder who is the top prospect in organization, will keep the wrist in a splint for five to seven days then work his way back onto the field. Don’t worry Durham Bulls fans, the Rays think Jennings will be ready for the start of the International League season.
The latest injury was a bit of a surprise since Jennings continued playing Monday and had two more at-bats - he struck out and popped out to second.
I talked to him after Monday’s game and he seemed fine. I didn’t notice anything wrong with his wrist. No splints or wraps. He never mentioned it hurt.
Apparently, the wrist was sore when he reported to the park Tuesday. A check by the medical staff revealed a sprain and now he’s out for what looks like at least two weeks.
Too bad. Jennings wasn’t going to make the big club unless there is an injury, but it would have been fun to watch him play a little longer.
He hasn’t looked like the second coming of Willie Mays, but everything he did suggests this guy has the goods to be a heck of a ball player someday.
Just not today.