Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Smith Hurts Knee, Will Sit Out Tonight
Posted Mar 25, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Mar 25, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Lightning goaltender Mike Smith, hurt at the end of Monday’s practice, will not start tonight against the Panthers and will be scratched from the lineup with a left knee injury.
Karri Ramo will get the start in net, Jonathan Boutin has been recalled on an emergency basis and Marc Denis has been put on re-entry waivers. Denis should be in Tampa tomorrow, assuming he clears before noon tomorrow.
Smith was injured a shootout drill when Marty St. Louis accidentally fell on Smith. As Smith came limping into the locker room, he slammed his stick to the floor, shattering it. A stride later, he fell on his side on the floor. He remained in full gear while being looked at by team trainer Tom Mulligan.
Apparently the knee did not react well overnight. The extent of the injury will not be known until tonight, when Smith is looked at by team doctors. Judging from Denis’ recall, it can’t be a good sign for Smith. If the injury were minor, Boutin likely would come up on an emergency basis until Smith was ready to go in a few days.
Check back for updates during tonight’s game.