Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Smith Hurts Knee, Will Sit Out Tonight
Posted Mar 25, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Mar 25, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Lightning goaltender Mike Smith, hurt at the end of Monday’s practice, will not start tonight against the Panthers and will be scratched from the lineup with a left knee injury.
Karri Ramo will get the start in net, Jonathan Boutin has been recalled on an emergency basis and Marc Denis has been put on re-entry waivers. Denis should be in Tampa tomorrow, assuming he clears before noon tomorrow.
Smith was injured a shootout drill when Marty St. Louis accidentally fell on Smith. As Smith came limping into the locker room, he slammed his stick to the floor, shattering it. A stride later, he fell on his side on the floor. He remained in full gear while being looked at by team trainer Tom Mulligan.
Apparently the knee did not react well overnight. The extent of the injury will not be known until tonight, when Smith is looked at by team doctors. Judging from Denis’ recall, it can’t be a good sign for Smith. If the injury were minor, Boutin likely would come up on an emergency basis until Smith was ready to go in a few days.
Check back for updates during tonight’s game.