Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Smith Hurts Knee, Will Sit Out Tonight
Posted Mar 25, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Mar 25, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Lightning goaltender Mike Smith, hurt at the end of Monday’s practice, will not start tonight against the Panthers and will be scratched from the lineup with a left knee injury.
Karri Ramo will get the start in net, Jonathan Boutin has been recalled on an emergency basis and Marc Denis has been put on re-entry waivers. Denis should be in Tampa tomorrow, assuming he clears before noon tomorrow.
Smith was injured a shootout drill when Marty St. Louis accidentally fell on Smith. As Smith came limping into the locker room, he slammed his stick to the floor, shattering it. A stride later, he fell on his side on the floor. He remained in full gear while being looked at by team trainer Tom Mulligan.
Apparently the knee did not react well overnight. The extent of the injury will not be known until tonight, when Smith is looked at by team doctors. Judging from Denis’ recall, it can’t be a good sign for Smith. If the injury were minor, Boutin likely would come up on an emergency basis until Smith was ready to go in a few days.
Check back for updates during tonight’s game.