Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Simms Circus About To Begin
Posted Jul 21, 2008 by Roy Cummings
Updated Jul 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM
TAMPA - Nothing has changed on the Chris Simms front.
The disgruntled quarterback is still a Buc, even though he badly wants out of the organization, and he’s still planning to report to training camp on Friday.
“I will be at camp,’’ Simms said in a text message. “I have no clue what is gonna happen [once I get there]; we’ll see.’‘
There has been some speculation about Simms status for camp, so I decided to go to the source on the matter. His response isn’t surprising. Simms said weeks ago that he had every intention of reporting to camp, “if the Bucs want that kind of media circus.’‘
Maybe they do. They have had a few opportunities to trade Simms and could have certainly released him by now. But Simms remains a Buccaneer and it’s beginning to look like he just may stay a Buccaneer for a while.
If the Bucs don’t cut him in an effort to get down to the 80-man roster limit by Friday it may be a sign they want to evaluate him before deciding their next move. If that proves to be the case then Simms automatically becomes one of the top players to watch at camp.
He has been saying for months now that he’s healthy and ready to play. His first chance to prove it may come on Saturday, when the Bucs hit the practice fields at Disney’s Wide World of Sports complex for their first workouts.
You can bet that if Simms is there for that workout, all eyes will be on him.