Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Simms Among Bucs Cuts
Posted Aug 30, 2008 by Roy Cummings
Updated Aug 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM
The release from the Bucs that Chris Simms was looking for finally came Saturday. He was let go as the Bucs reduced their roster to 53 players.
Other players cut included LB Patrick Chukwurah, cB Darrell Hunter, WR Chad Lucas and DE Charles Bennett. In a move of local interest the Bucs let go of WR Brian Clark.
Simms had been asking for his release or to be traded since the offseason, when it became apparent to him that he did not have a future here. He said he leaves Tampa Bay with fond memories of his time here.
“It will always be a special place for me and who knows, it’s a crazy league,’’ he said. “Who’s to say I won’t be back here maybe in a few years. Warrick Dunn did it. You never know.
“But I truly did enjoy it here in Tampa. It’s a great sports town, they love their sports, my family loved living here. The beach, the weather - it was a blast. I’m really grateful for the time I had living here.’‘
The Bucs were hoping to trade Simms but with most teams knowing the Bucs would let him go his trade value plummeted even as he proved during the preseason that he was healthy.
Simms next stop is uncertain. The Packers and Cowboys have reportedly expressed interest in him, but the Bears, who sought to make a trade for Simms on draft day, may have more.
The Bears kept three quarterbacks but there is speculation Simms will be added to their roster in the coming days.
Here is the complete list of player let go by the Bucs
DE Patrick Chukwurah
LB Ryan Nece
QB Chris Simms
DE Charles Bennett
G Phil Bogle
DT Chris Bradwell
WR Brian Clark
T Chris Clark
RB Kenneth Darby
T Chris Denman
TE Daniel Fells
CB Marcus Hamilton
CB Darrell Hunter
G Brian Johnson
WR Chad Lucas
DT Dre Moore
T Dennis Roland
RB Clifton Smith
WR Micheal Spurlock
FB Carl Stewart
WR Cortez Hankton (waived injured)
TE Jerramy Stevens, placed on the reserve/suspended list.