Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Sickles to face Kathleen in bowl game
Posted Nov 11, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Nov 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM
For the second straight year, the Sickles football team will be playing in a postseason bowl game.
The Gryphons, who finished the 2011 regular season 7-3 but just missed qualifying the playoffs out of one of the state’s toughest districts, will take on host Lakeland Kathleen (6-4) on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
‘‘Our kids are deserving of some reward for being 7-3 and having three very closes losses we could have won,’’ said Gryphons coach Brian Turner. ‘‘We’re playing a very good Kathleen team. Their four losses are by a total of just 10 points.’‘
Sickles losses this season were by a point to Wharton, four points to Armwood and by a touchdown to Jefferson. Wharton was the district runner-up to defending Class 8A state champion Plant and defending 6A champion Armwood was district runner-up in the Gryphons’ league, 6A-8.
Jefferson, a 2010 state champion, finished the year 6-4 with five straight victories, which included four wins in 6A-8 play.