Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Sickles to face Kathleen in bowl game
Posted Nov 11, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Nov 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM
For the second straight year, the Sickles football team will be playing in a postseason bowl game.
The Gryphons, who finished the 2011 regular season 7-3 but just missed qualifying the playoffs out of one of the state’s toughest districts, will take on host Lakeland Kathleen (6-4) on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
‘‘Our kids are deserving of some reward for being 7-3 and having three very closes losses we could have won,’’ said Gryphons coach Brian Turner. ‘‘We’re playing a very good Kathleen team. Their four losses are by a total of just 10 points.’‘
Sickles losses this season were by a point to Wharton, four points to Armwood and by a touchdown to Jefferson. Wharton was the district runner-up to defending Class 8A state champion Plant and defending 6A champion Armwood was district runner-up in the Gryphons’ league, 6A-8.
Jefferson, a 2010 state champion, finished the year 6-4 with five straight victories, which included four wins in 6A-8 play.