Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Sickles’ Mills, Mathis land first offers
Posted Jul 21, 2012 by TBO Staff
Updated Jul 21, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Sickles quarterback Nate Mills and wide receiver Deandre Mathis landed their first scholarship offers, from Division I FCS school Alcorn State, Gryphons coach Brian Turner announced Saturday.
Turner said the offers came directly from the Braves’ new head coach, Jay Hopson.
The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Mills threw for more than 1,138 yards last season and 13 touchdowns last season as a junior. Mathis had 13 receptions for 265 yards and scored six touchdowns, the most of any Gryphons receiver.
Alcorn State plays in the Southwestern Athletic Conference and more than 50 alumni have reached the NFL, including former Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair.