Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
SI poll says players dig Damon
Posted May 17, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM
In this week’s Sports Illustrated poll, 290 MLB players were asked, “Who is the nicest player in baseball?” Most players selected the Minnesota Twins’ DH Jim Thome (21%), followed by the Philadelphia Phillies OF Raul Ibanez (7%), Tampa Bay Rays’ DH Johnny Damon (5%), retired MLB 1B Mike Sweeney (5%) and the Minnesota Twins’ C Joe Mauer (4%).
Sports Illustrated also posed the question to its Facebook community (http://www.facebook.com/SportsIllustrated). More than one quarter of fans selected Jim Thome (28%), followed by the New York Yankees’ SS Derek Jeter (17%) and the Boston Red Sox’s Dustin Pedroia (10%).