Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
SI poll says players dig Damon
Posted May 17, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM
In this week’s Sports Illustrated poll, 290 MLB players were asked, “Who is the nicest player in baseball?” Most players selected the Minnesota Twins’ DH Jim Thome (21%), followed by the Philadelphia Phillies OF Raul Ibanez (7%), Tampa Bay Rays’ DH Johnny Damon (5%), retired MLB 1B Mike Sweeney (5%) and the Minnesota Twins’ C Joe Mauer (4%).
Sports Illustrated also posed the question to its Facebook community (http://www.facebook.com/SportsIllustrated). More than one quarter of fans selected Jim Thome (28%), followed by the New York Yankees’ SS Derek Jeter (17%) and the Boston Red Sox’s Dustin Pedroia (10%).