Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
SI poll says players dig Damon
Posted May 17, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM
In this week’s Sports Illustrated poll, 290 MLB players were asked, “Who is the nicest player in baseball?” Most players selected the Minnesota Twins’ DH Jim Thome (21%), followed by the Philadelphia Phillies OF Raul Ibanez (7%), Tampa Bay Rays’ DH Johnny Damon (5%), retired MLB 1B Mike Sweeney (5%) and the Minnesota Twins’ C Joe Mauer (4%).
Sports Illustrated also posed the question to its Facebook community (http://www.facebook.com/SportsIllustrated). More than one quarter of fans selected Jim Thome (28%), followed by the New York Yankees’ SS Derek Jeter (17%) and the Boston Red Sox’s Dustin Pedroia (10%).