Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Shields the latest to beat his old team
Posted May 1, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM
KANSAS CITY James Shields became the seventh of what you would call notable Rays starters to face their old team.
Shields is definitely the most notable with Scott Kazmir being the second.
Shields overcame a rough first inning Tuesday to earn the win in the Royals 8-2 win against the Rays. Vintage Shields – he retired the final 13 batters he faced.
Here is what the seven notable former Rays or Devil Rays did in their first game against their old team:
James Shields, KC (4/30/13) 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER … KC 8-2
Scott Kazmir, LAA (5/11/10) 5 IP, 7 H, 3 ER … Rays 3-2
Edwin Jackson, DET (9/6/09) 8 IP, 6 H, 3 ER … DET 5-3
Mark Hendrickson (6/14/08) 5 IP, 4H, 3 ER … Rays 4-1
Paul Wilson CIN (6/10/03) 5 2/3 IP, 8 H, 2 ER … TOR 5-3
Tanyon Sturtze TOR (4/24/03) 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER … TOR 5-3
Rolando Arrojo BOS (8/17/00) 7 IP, 3 H, 2 ER … BOS 4-3