Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Shields the latest to beat his old team
Posted May 1, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM
KANSAS CITY James Shields became the seventh of what you would call notable Rays starters to face their old team.
Shields is definitely the most notable with Scott Kazmir being the second.
Shields overcame a rough first inning Tuesday to earn the win in the Royals 8-2 win against the Rays. Vintage Shields – he retired the final 13 batters he faced.
Here is what the seven notable former Rays or Devil Rays did in their first game against their old team:
James Shields, KC (4/30/13) 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER … KC 8-2
Scott Kazmir, LAA (5/11/10) 5 IP, 7 H, 3 ER … Rays 3-2
Edwin Jackson, DET (9/6/09) 8 IP, 6 H, 3 ER … DET 5-3
Mark Hendrickson (6/14/08) 5 IP, 4H, 3 ER … Rays 4-1
Paul Wilson CIN (6/10/03) 5 2/3 IP, 8 H, 2 ER … TOR 5-3
Tanyon Sturtze TOR (4/24/03) 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER … TOR 5-3
Rolando Arrojo BOS (8/17/00) 7 IP, 3 H, 2 ER … BOS 4-3