Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
Scott to DL, Gomes returns, Jennings update
Posted Aug 17, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 17, 2013 at 05:49 PM
ST. PETERSBURG – The Rays placed DH Luke Scott on the disabled list this afternoon with lower back spasms and recalled RHP Brandon Gomes from the 60-day DL.
To make room on the 40-man roster for Gomes the Rays transferred RHP Jesse Crain (right shoulder strain) to the 60-man DL.
CF Desmond Jennings (fractured left middle finger) will play for the Class A Charlotte Stone Crabs on Sunday night. If all goes well he is expected to join the team Monday in Baltimore.
To make room Monday for Jennings the Rays will likely remove a relief pitcher.
As it stands now, the Rays have only three bench players. Manager Joe Maddon said he doesn’t think that will be an issue during the final two games of this three game series with the Blue Jays.
Also, adding Gomes gives them another right-handed reliever against the Jays heavy right-handed lineup.
Here are the lineups:
Happ LHP (2-2, 5.11)
Hernandez RHP (6-12, 4.95)