Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Scott returns from DL, Duncan DFA’d
Posted Apr 30, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM
KANSAS CITY The Rays activated DH Luke Scott from the disabled list and designated DH/1B Shelley Duncan for assignment this afternoon.
Scott has not played this season because of a right calf strain.
Duncan, who was signed as insurance against an injury to Scott, made the Opening Day roster when Scott went on the DL, hit .182 with two home runs and six RBI in 55 at-bats over 20 games.
Scott will be the DH against right-handers, which he will tonight when the Rays open a three-game series against the Royals. Manager Joe Maddon said he will use Sean Rodriguez and Ryan Roberts as his DH against lefties.
Also, SS Yunel Escobar participated in early batting practice this afternoon and took grounders at shortstop. Escobar, who has not played since experiencing tightness in his right hamstring last Wednesday, is expected to rejoin the lineup tonight.