Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Scott returns from DL, Duncan DFA’d
Posted Apr 30, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM
KANSAS CITY The Rays activated DH Luke Scott from the disabled list and designated DH/1B Shelley Duncan for assignment this afternoon.
Scott has not played this season because of a right calf strain.
Duncan, who was signed as insurance against an injury to Scott, made the Opening Day roster when Scott went on the DL, hit .182 with two home runs and six RBI in 55 at-bats over 20 games.
Scott will be the DH against right-handers, which he will tonight when the Rays open a three-game series against the Royals. Manager Joe Maddon said he will use Sean Rodriguez and Ryan Roberts as his DH against lefties.
Also, SS Yunel Escobar participated in early batting practice this afternoon and took grounders at shortstop. Escobar, who has not played since experiencing tightness in his right hamstring last Wednesday, is expected to rejoin the lineup tonight.