Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Scott returns from DL, Duncan DFA’d
Posted Apr 30, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM
KANSAS CITY The Rays activated DH Luke Scott from the disabled list and designated DH/1B Shelley Duncan for assignment this afternoon.
Scott has not played this season because of a right calf strain.
Duncan, who was signed as insurance against an injury to Scott, made the Opening Day roster when Scott went on the DL, hit .182 with two home runs and six RBI in 55 at-bats over 20 games.
Scott will be the DH against right-handers, which he will tonight when the Rays open a three-game series against the Royals. Manager Joe Maddon said he will use Sean Rodriguez and Ryan Roberts as his DH against lefties.
Also, SS Yunel Escobar participated in early batting practice this afternoon and took grounders at shortstop. Escobar, who has not played since experiencing tightness in his right hamstring last Wednesday, is expected to rejoin the lineup tonight.