Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Scott leaves game with tight left hamstring
Posted Mar 3, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 3, 2013 at 04:24 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE Rays DH Luke Scott left today’s game with the Twins after his only at-bat because of tightness in his left hamstring.
“My hamstring just got a little tight,” he said. “Just precautionary stuff, didn’t want to mess with it.”
Scott flew out to right field in the second inning.
“I ran, came back to the dugout and it was just a little bit tight,” Scott said. “Hopefully I’ll be back in a couple of days.”
Scott was hampered last season because of season-ending right shoulder surgery in August 2011.
The shoulder is no longer and issue, and Scott was pleased that he was able to play the outfield. He had three hits in his first 10 at-bats, including a double off the center field fence last Wednesday against the Pirates against left-hander Wandy Rodriguez.
It’s too early to tell how much time Scott will miss, but given the Rays habit of not rushing injured players back on the field, he will likely miss a few days.
“The muscle’s just tight,” Scott said. “I think cold day, a little bit of fatigue from working my legs, I worked my legs pretty hard this week. I’ve had stuff like this many times before. I’m not worried.”