Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Scott has lower back issue, Zoby not playing because he’s ill
Posted Jun 13, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 13, 2012 at 05:34 PM
ST. PETERSBURG DH Luke Scott is not in tonight’s lineup against the Mets because of a stiff lower back, Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Scott hasn’t started since June 5. He pinch-hit Saturday night against the Marlins, reached on an error and stole second base. Maddon said the injury occurred at some point during that at-bat.
“He is day-to-day. To not mislead, I’m really not sure (when he will return),” Maddon said. “He feels better today than he did yesterday, but he’s not 100 percent.”
Also, Zobrist is not in tonight’s lineup but that is, according to Maddon, due to a fever and not the sore right hand that kept him out of Tuesday’s game.
“He may be available tonight, I’m not sure,” Maddon said. “The hand is still sore, but it’s not the issue. The issue is he’s not well.”