Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Wharton athletes sign NLI’s
- Touchdown Club of Atlanta names Hargreaves top defensive back in the country
- Rays @ Jays: Cobb looking for 5th win
- FACA Baseball Classic Rosters announced
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Score Hockey will arrive before NHL season
Posted Jun 20, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Jun 20, 2012 at 05:32 PM
It’s great when a sports card product arrives before the season starts. There’s no better way to get excited about a sport than to see those cards at your local card shop or retail store. Topps figured that a long time ago with its signature Series 1 baseball set, and now Panini America is following suit with its 2012-2013 Score Hockey product.
Score Hockey will hit the shelves in early August, which will give fans nearly two months before the start of the NHL regular season to put the set together.
And the price will be nice, too, at $1 per pack. Those prices are a welcome sight and can only help drive the product. It’s nice to see Lightning star Steven Stamkos on the box top, too.
Of course, having some nice cards and inserts will drive the product even better. Rookies will be represented well, with 40 new cards depicting players who played during the 2011-12 NHL season but made their debuts after the All-Star Game. Those rookie cards will fall one in every other pack.
God Rush parallels will be seeded one per hobby box, along with one Gold Rush Hot Rookie. The black-and-white parallels will offer a stark counterpoint to the color displayed in the base cards.
Autograph cards will be harder to find, as there will be only four per case.
For collectors who buy retail, there will be a Franchise Retro insert (exclusive only to retail packs and blaster boxes) that will feature famous members of the NHL’s Original Six franchises.
Panini said there also will be autographed versions of these cards.
The Check-It insert will pay homage to the league’s hardest hitters, while the First Goal insert will commemorate historic “first goals” from the 2011-12 season.
Now hockey fans will have something to look forward before the first puck is dropped for the 2012-13 season.