Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
Saturday is target day for frontline pitchers
Posted Mar 1, 2009 by Tribune Sports
Updated Mar 1, 2009 at 01:21 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE - Manager Joe Maddon said this morning he’ll start using is frontline pitchers on Saturday, but he wasn’t ready to announce a schedule.
Between now and then, the spring training starters will be Jason Hammel today, Wade Davis tomorrow, Jeff Niemann Wednesday and Carlos Hernandez on Friday. Thursday is an off-day.
Maddon also said he’d like to get first baseman Carlos Pena, who underwent surgery in January to repair an abdominal muscle tear, in a game “by Friday if possible.”
- Tony Fabrizio