Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Sandcastle RC to debut in Panini’s Score football set
Posted Apr 24, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Apr 24, 2013 at 04:07 PM
If you loved those commercials featuring fictional NFL rookie phenom “Leon Sandcastle,” then you should be buying retail packs of Score football next month.
Panini America announced that it will produce officially licensed rookie cards of Sandcastle, the NFL Network’s make-believe top NFL draft prospect, for its first two 2013 trading card sets — Score and Prestige. Sandcastle will appear as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs and will join other members of the 2013 NFL rookie draft class.
Sandcastle was played by former NFL star Deion Sanders, and “Prime Time” did a great job selling the character. If you’ve watched the commercial, you cannot help but smile. Sanders is an acquired taste to some, but he’s certainly a ham and knows how to poke fun at himself.
Sandcastle’s first cards will appear exclusively in retail packs of 2013 Score Football, which releases in late May and will sell for $1.99 per pack. The 25th anniversary of the Score brand will feature rookie cards based on the 1989 Score design. Hobby collectors can find autographed Sandcastle rookie cards in the late-June release of 2013 Prestige football.
“Leon Sandcastle’s larger-than-life persona took the NFL world by storm earlier this year and his presence in our first two products of 2013 season is a direct result of that,” Panini America CEO Mark Warsop said in a news release. “We had fans and collectors from all over asking us to make Sandcastle rookie cards a reality. Now that we’ve done that, we’re confident that his first trading cards will deliver a definite fun factor along with other 2013 NFL rookies.”
And if you’re a collector, fun is what it’s all about. The Sandcastle rookie card is a fun gimmick and collectors should enjoy it.