Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Salas hit with drug suspension
Posted May 7, 2007 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 7, 2007 at 05:31 PM
Rays reliever Juan Salas has been suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.
Under terms of the 2006 drug-testing agreement, a 50-game ban means this is Salas’ first positive test.
The Rays issued the following statement this afternoon as the team prepared to fly to Baltimore, saying team officials would have no further comment:
“The Tampa Bay Devil Rays fully support Major League Baseball’s drug testing policy. We will do all we can to help Juan get his career headed back on a positive course.”
A corresponding roster move will be made tomorrow. The Rays already had planned to call up Chad Orvella to replace Ruddy Lugo; this may mean Tim Corcoran will join the team as well.