Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Salas hit with drug suspension
Posted May 7, 2007 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 7, 2007 at 05:31 PM
Rays reliever Juan Salas has been suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.
Under terms of the 2006 drug-testing agreement, a 50-game ban means this is Salas’ first positive test.
The Rays issued the following statement this afternoon as the team prepared to fly to Baltimore, saying team officials would have no further comment:
“The Tampa Bay Devil Rays fully support Major League Baseball’s drug testing policy. We will do all we can to help Juan get his career headed back on a positive course.”
A corresponding roster move will be made tomorrow. The Rays already had planned to call up Chad Orvella to replace Ruddy Lugo; this may mean Tim Corcoran will join the team as well.