Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Rule 5 pick Rodriguez back to Sox
Posted Mar 23, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Mar 23, 2009 at 12:53 PM
BRADENTON—Derek Rodriguez, the reliever the Rays selected from the White Sox in the Rule 5 draft at the winter meetings in December, is headed back to the Chicago organization.
With no chance of making Tampa Bay’s Opening Day roster, Rodriguez was offered back to the White Sox and they accepted, paying $25,000 (half of what the Rays paid to select him) to take him back.
Rodriguez made five Grapefruit League appearances for the Rays, allowing 10 hits and five earned runs in six innings.
The move opens up a spot on the Rays’ 40-man roster, which could come in handy as they look to set the Opening Day roster in the next couple of weeks.