Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Ruggiano Demoted After Loss
Posted Jun 22, 2008 by Aaron Knox
Updated Jun 22, 2008 at 05:35 PM
The Rays announced after today’s 3-2 loss to Houston that OF Justin Ruggiano had been optioned to Triple-A Durham. The team is expected to recall IF Ben Zobrist before traveling to Miami today for the Tuesday start of a three-game series against the Marlins.
With SS Jason Bartlett’s wife about to give birth and expected to miss a day or two, Zobrist gives the team infield depth.
Also, 1B Carlos Pena is scheduled to take batting practice with the team Tuesday in Miami. An x-rays Sunday revealed that Pena’s fractured finger on his left hand is healing, but has not progressed to the point where he can play. His return was optimistically predicted for the Pittsburgh series this weekend, but it might be pushed back to the Boston series at Tropicana Field June 30-July 2.