Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Rocco goes to Scotland
Posted Jan 23, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Jan 23, 2008 at 10:10 AM
Here’s your bizarre read of the day. Apparently Rocco Baldelli attended the Celtic-Kilmarnock match over the weekend.
Scotland’s Daily Record caught up with the erstwhile Rays outfielder for a rather extensive interview. My favorite part is reading the phrasing of the quotes from Rocco. Witness:
“The atmosphere for the Kilmarnock match was unlike anything I’ve experienced before. It’s breathtaking to have more than 50,000 fans turning up to watch you play and I’d love to get a taste of that as a sportsman.
“We get around 30,000 people coming to watch our baseball games but there can be no better atmosphere for a sporting event than Parkhead. Not too many sporting venues can generate that kind of atmosphere.
“I can’t wait to come back for an Old Firm game. I’ve heard the matches against Rangers are not for the faint hearted so that’s one I’m not going to miss.”
As someone who’s talked to Baldelli a few times, I’m going to go out on a limb and say those aren’t rock-solid, verbatim quotes. If I’m wrong and he did refer to himself as a sportsman, well, color me impressed. Anyway, an interesting little read.
In other fun news, Dan Miceli has signed a minor-league deal with the Red Sox. Miceli didn’t pitch anywhere last season after the Rays cut him late in spring training.