Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Robinson’s Gibson takes second in ACC championships
Posted Apr 21, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 21, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Former Robinson standout Darrin Gibson finished second in the 800-meter run with a personal record time of 1 minutes, 48.08 seconds in Saturday’s Atlantic Coast Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships at Virginia’s Lannigan Field.
Virginia’s Lance Roller was the winner in 1:47.92. The Seminoles were hoping to capture an eighth consecutive ACC men’s outdoor title but after a third-place finish in the meet’s final event, the 4x400 relay, came up just 4.5 points short of Virginia Tech. FSU was less than a second behind 4x400 winner Virginia and could have won the meet with a win in the 4x400.
FSU trailed by as many as 40.5 points Saturday but efforts like those by Gibson, who was a state champion in the 800 his senior year at Robinson in 2009, pulled the Seminoles to within striking distance of Virginia Tech.