Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Robinson switches preseason game to Clearwater
Posted Aug 17, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Aug 17, 2012 at 01:58 PM
Due to the poor footing condition of the football field at Robinson High, the Knights’ Aug. 24 preseason Kickoff Classic against Clearwater High has been switched to the Tornadoes’ field in Clearwater, Knights head coach Mike DePue announced Friday.
DePue said Robinson’s field has become unplayable for the next few weeks because of a late sodding project to the field. He said about 45 percent of the field was re-sodded last week and has not had time to properly root. As a result, he says the footing is precarious in several spots throughout the field and therefore unsafe to play on.
“It’s a shame we have to move it but I’m not going to endanger the safety of our kids and I’m certainly not going to endanger the safety of Clearwater’s players,’’ DePue said. ‘‘All it would take is a few more days of rain like we’ve had on our field and we could have kids turning ankles and blowing out knees.’‘
DePue said one of the big down-sides to the switch is the loss of revenue for the county and school through gate receipts and concession sales. But after another inspection of the field Friday, he said he and his administrators at Robinson decided to switch the game to Clearwater High, located at 540 South Hercules Avenue in Clearwater, just off Gulf-to-Bay Blvd. Kickoff for the game is set for 7:30 p.m.
By playing the Kickoff Classic away from home and the Knights’ first three opponents of the regular season on the road, DePue said the new sod on his field will have more than a month to take root. Robinson’s first home game is now Sept. 21 vs. Lennard.